BIRT Developer Center Download

Photo
- - - - -

How do i use word wrap in report design?

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Mylsamy

Mylsamy

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 33 posts

Posted 09 June 2010 - 07:35 PM

Hi all, I am using Birt report version 2.3.2. I created a design in JDBC datasource and access the data. and the dataset value is dateSetRow["CompnayName"]="sdssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssddddddfsfsfdsfdsfsdfsdfdsssssssssssssssssssss" like this. I display the character is one line with out break the word when i view the report. But i want to apply the Word wrap to that column. Can I do this? Please help me.
Thanks in Advance

Myl

#2 mwilliams

mwilliams

BIRT Guru

• Administrators
  • 14549 posts

Posted 11 June 2010 - 09:34 AM

Hi Myl, You may have to use substrings or insert break characters into the string to get it to wrap to the next line. If I find anything else out on this, I'll post it in here.

Regards,

Michael Williams

Instantly add interactivity, scheduling, sharing, live Excel exporting, and JavaScript integration capabilities to your BIRT application with the new, free BIRT server, BIRT iHub F-Type.

Find me on:
Twitter
Facebook
Blog

LinkedIn

Email me:
Google: mwilliams.actuate@gmail.com

ActuateIsOpenText.jpg

#3 Mylsamy

Mylsamy

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 33 posts

Posted 13 June 2010 - 07:08 PM

Thanks for your valuable reply Williams, Now i found the solutions for word wrap. I call javascript method wrap(), that method i defined and now okay. But the problem is starting here, when i view the report in Report viewer it display the output in HTML and PDF format. The same report i run through servlet means it display wrap() that is javascript method is not defined error. Error : Unable to load Script file WebContent/scripts/WordWrap.js. Error : A BIRT exception occurred: Error evaluating Javascript expression. Script engine error: ReferenceError: "wrap" is not defined. I attached my report design file and PrintResume XML file. My Javascript code is : WordWrap.js function wrap(longStr,width){ length = longStr.length; if(length <= width) return longStr; return (longStr.substring(0, width) + "\n" + wrap(longStr.substring(width, length), width)); } Can i add any jar files to my Project? or How can i solve this problem?

Attached Files

Thanks in Advance

Myl

#4 pratim

pratim

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 34 posts

Posted 02 June 2011 - 03:03 AM

Hi, Did you able to get rid of the exception, even i am seeing the exception when i try to do 'export data' to CSV format, from this report [which is deployed under tomcat server]. However i did not see any exception, if i do export data from BIRT eclipse setup. Any help !!

#5 garyxue

garyxue

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts

Posted 20 September 2011 - 09:47 AM

Here is one solution. Put your content in a dynamic text item with the following text: <div style="word-wrap: break-word"><VALUE-OF>row["longStr"]</VALUE-OF></div> This works in both IE and Firefox, which supports the non-standard "word-wrap: break-word" style. Not sure about other browsers though.

#6 A.ASIKRAJA

A.ASIKRAJA

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 22 February 2013 - 02:23 AM

Hi,
If it is table data then select that data and select the propertis ->General Tab -> whitespace set to Normal.
Just try it.

Hi all,

I am using Birt report version 2.3.2.

I created a design in JDBC datasource and access the data.

and the dataset value is dateSetRow["CompnayName"]="sdssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssddddddfsfsfdsfdsfsdfsdfdsssssssssssssssssssss" like this.

I display the character is one line with out break the word when i view the report.

But i want to apply the Word wrap to that column.

Can I do this?

Please help me.

#7 deepakrkgi

deepakrkgi

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 30 April 2013 - 02:01 AM

hi myl for word wrap in birt .. double click on data (data in table like email_Id).. on popup window ckick on fx of expression column. Copy and paste following code change EMAIL_ID to ur dataSetRow name function wrap(longStr,width){ length = longStr.length; if(length <= width) return longStr; return (longStr.substring(0, width) + "\n" + wrap(longStr.substring(width, length), width)); } wrap( dataSetRow["EMAIL_ID"], 15 );
  • A.ASIKRAJA and aziela like this