Getting started with BIRT Design
Any BIRT Application development starts with a BIRT Design. A BIRT Design contains data access, data transformation, business logic and formatting instructions needed to present the resulting data visualization or a report. Developers use BIRT Designers to create BIRT Design. This section will help you get started with creating your first BIRT Design.
There are two designers to choose from:
- Eclipse open-source BIRT Designer equips developers with everything they need to access data sources; transform, integrate and apply business logic to data; secure, filter, format and present the resulting reports to users.
Review | Download
- The BIRT Designer Pro shares all the features of the Eclipse BIRT designer, and adds hundreds of HTML5-powered charts, gadgets and maps; commercial data drivers; a metadata layer, impact analysis; and cube design and caching features for creating interactive and analytic content.
Review | Download
- There are numerous resources available to help you with creating BIRT Design. We suggest you start with the following.
- Watch this two part video tutorial on Designing BIRT Reports. This short 12 min tutorial will walk through the complete creation of a BIRT Design including creating a BIRT project, connecting to data, adding a chart, formatting the report and adding drill to details capability. ( Part 1, Part 2 )
- BIRT Designer is based on the Eclipse IDE. Review this topic to get to know the BIRT Designer User Interface.
- Open the Examples within BIRT Designer upon installation by going to the following BIRT Designer menu "Window -> Show View -> Other -> Report and Chart Design"
- Review the BIRT Tutorial on the Design Center